G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member here. I've been building customs for my Buddy L trains for the last year and a half. I originally posted my pictures on a 1/18 scale military forum. I found this forum and thought I'd share pics of my work here. Any questions or comments are welcome.

Thanks, Kevin.

There's four full pages to look at.

Link to other forum.

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?t=6203&start=0

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Wow...Real Buddy L!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Do not follow the suggestion of the one poster and modify it to a BR52-Kreigslok (Differnt wheel arrangement anyhow).   I think some military modelleing companies are making German steam static kits in large scales.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: 1/18 Buddy L Trains & Railyard.

The only mods I plan on making are repainting the loco and and tender and putting some Union Pacific decals on them.
I'd like to see the German trains. Do you know what scale they are? Do you have a link?
Thanks, Kevin.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

Wow. Cool!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
You have to love that Buddy L stuff. I have a truck that belonged to my Stepdad that looks like a military transport. Big, heavy, made to last and to be played with. They don't make toys like that anymore. Your loco could use some body work and a good glass beading to prepare it for paint, but a cool loco none the less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I was considering having it blasted before I painted it. I don't know anyone that does that. I'm concerned about the brass parts being damaged.(Not sure blasting would hurt it.) Can't replace any parts on these.
I've already got the decals made up. The loco and tender weigh about 40 lbs. together. They're real heavy.
Thanks everyone.
Kevin.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

I think I'd not repaint it. Leave that "patina."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I just posted another update on page #5 on the link above.
I just finished my grain elevator.
Thanks, Kevin.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Make friends with an automotive machine shop.
Use their glass bead machine.
Either take the brass bits off or tape them up.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Scott,

Thanks for posting the pixes.

Kevin,

I've seen a shot or two of that engine before. For my nickel's worth, I wouldn't refinish it if you care about antique value.

Having said that, I really like what you're doing with it. I'm no artist or professional anything, but in some indefinable way it 'works' for me, the way you've got it set up and the general atmosphere makes the scenes 'look right'. I dunno how to say it. But, go man, you're doing something appealing.

Les

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll start posting pics here so you won't have to log in on the other site. (I didn't realize that you had to.)

Thanks Les and Trains West.

Train station and loading dock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
COACH & SLEEPER CAR.

I took two flatcars and converted them to coach and sleeper cars for my 3.75" troops. I made the cars out of cardboard.

COACH CAR

SLEEPER CAR

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BACK SHOP.

Window frames.

Foamboard for walls and put in overhead crane.

Plastic sheet of brick glued to the foamboard walls.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts