G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a new 1:1 scale live steam locomotive?? technically yes I suppose..but its not really a model..

Is it a 1:1 scale replica of a class of locomotives that no longer exists? well sort of..but perhaps not....not really that either..

Is it essentially a brand-new member of the class, that just happened to built 60 years after the last one? thats pretty much it, yes! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif:D

No matter how you classify it..its pretty amazing! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

http://www.a1steam.com/update.html

Scot

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Amazing is right, it's the ultimate scratchbuilding project!  Although, having the whole cab be removable for access to the controls seems a little unneccessary in that scale!  Surely a hinged roof would have been enough? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
And it was cheap!! From what I read, it cost a mere 1.5 million pounds.  That's a little over USD $3 million.  I placed my order for one.  Think I'll have it by Christmas?!  All kidding aside, this looks like it was a long and successful project, spanning almost 18 years.  Probably longer than that, unofficially.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
RE: 1:1 scale live steam? Meet the "Tornado"

I've been following this project for over 5 years. Didn't realize that they were that close to a steam test!
It amazes me how much weight steam preservation (or erecting for this matter) holds in the British national lottery fund. Simply outstanding work. Our Park service should look at this for an example of what should be gatting done up in Scranton. Same to have some of the most historic locomotives in the US either in parts or rusting away.

Thanks Scot, superb find!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts