G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive design Automotive tire Steam engine Motor vehicle Television

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Machine tool Engineering

Automotive design Kitchen appliance Wood Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Locomotive Train

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Steam engine

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Locomotive

Train Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Steam engine

I have just finished my three month long project of modifying a Bachmann Big Hauler for my Fremont, Humboldt & Southern Railway. What started off as a simple smokebox modification quickly turned into a much bigger project.

Modifications included; moving the valve chests closer to the cylinder saddle (they were much too far away for the Stephenson’s valve gear equipped locomotive), shortening the smokebox, new running boards, air pump to the engineer side, full cab piping (to the best of my ability) and a new pilot. The pilot was made from 1/8x3/8 basswood, the running boards are plywood with brass brackets to the boiler. Paint is mostly Model Masters airbrushed on, Tamiya Gun Metal for the boiler jacket, and graphite powder and linseed oil on the smokebox.

This is only my second locomotive to receive this much work since I made a model of CB&Q 537 in 2009. Overall I am pretty happy with the results, I think it captures elements of both the D&RGW T-12 class (most notably the front frame extension) and the RGS T-19 locomotives quite well.

Next up will be decals, weathering, and a tender. I’ll have some video of it plowing snow soon enough.

Sean A.
 

·
Registered
currently obtaining track, and rolling stock
Joined
·
106 Posts
View attachment 62506 nice loco
View attachment 62513
View attachment 62510
View attachment 62509
View attachment 62512
View attachment 62511
View attachment 62508
View attachment 62505
View attachment 62507
I have just finished my three month long project of modifying a Bachmann Big Hauler for my Fremont, Humboldt & Southern Railway. What started off as a simple smokebox modification quickly turned into a much bigger project.

Modifications included; moving the valve chests closer to the cylinder saddle (they were much too far away for the Stephenson’s valve gear equipped locomotive), shortening the smokebox, new running boards, air pump to the engineer side, full cab piping (to the best of my ability) and a new pilot. The pilot was made from 1/8x3/8 basswood, the running boards are plywood with brass brackets to the boiler. Paint is mostly Model Masters airbrushed on, Tamiya Gun Metal for the boiler jacket, and graphite powder and linseed oil on the smokebox.

This is only my second locomotive to receive this much work since I made a model of CB&Q 537 in 2009. Overall I am pretty happy with the results, I think it captures elements of both the D&RGW T-12 class (most notably the front frame extension) and the RGS T-19 locomotives quite well.

Next up will be decals, weathering, and a tender. I’ll have some video of it plowing snow soon enough.

Sean A.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top